What Are Spider Veins?
Spider veins are visible red or bluish blood vessels under the skin on your legs, or sometimes your face. The branching veins look a little like spiders, which is how they got their name.
Why Do Many Women Get Spider Veins During Pregnancy?
When you’re pregnant, you’ve got more blood flowing through your veins. That puts pressure on the veins, which can make the veins swell. Pregnancy hormones also play a role.
What Can You Do About Spider Veins While Pregnant?
There are several ways you can take care of spider veins while you are pregnant:
• Do things that will help increase your blood circulation. Support hose helps many women. When you’re sitting, don’t cross your legs. If you are sitting or standing for a long time, move around often to get your blood circulating.
• Nourish your veins with Vitamin C.
• Get in the habit of walking or running to keep your legs strong and your veins healthy.
• Constipation puts additional pressure on the veins, so eat healthy, high-fiber food, such as whole grains and fruits and vegetables, to keep your digestive system moving.
• If you want to hide the veins, there is makeup available that is specifically designed to conceal spider veins.
How to Treat Spider Veins After Pregnancy
After your baby is born, in addition to the methods described above, you will have some additional options for treating spider veins. These safe and effective procedures can be done post-pregnancy:
• Sclerotherapy uses fluid injected into the spider veins to eliminate them. The procedure is done in a doctor’s office, and recovery is so quick that you can be back doing your normal activities the same day.
• Laser or radio frequency therapy uses energy to get rid of unhealthy veins. This technologically advanced outpatient treatment is less invasive than conventional surgery.
If you are in the New York City area, contact Metropolitan Vein and Aesthetic Center to learn more about these state-of-the-art spider vein treatment options. Call 914-935-7541 to set up an appointment with a doctor and find out more about how you can reduce or eliminate the spider veins that appeared as a result of your pregnancy.<< Back to all post