Hi. Dr. Adam Goldman of the Metropolitan Vein and Aesthetic Center here. I am here today to talk to you about the condition known as hyperhidrosis or excessive sweating and underarm odor, which is often a potentially embarrassing social or work situation. If you suffer from this, there are several options.
What is miraDry?
However, the newest and, in my consideration, one of the best options is something called miraDry. This is a permanent reduction of sweating and underarm odor. It is done in the office under local anesthesia. There is very minimal risk. And at approximately two years, almost a hundred percent of patients will reduce their underarm sweating so there no longer is a problem. Often, one session is needed to control the underarm sweating. However, at times, you may need a second treatment to fully control it.
And studies have shown excellent results and long-term results. It is a permanent reduction. Sweating is absolutely necessary for your body as it helps to keep your body cool and comfortable by regulating your internal temperature.
However, your body has more than 4 million sweat glands that are used to achieve this goal. Your underarms have less than 2% of those sweat glands and will not negatively affect your body’s ability to sweat and regulate temperature.
MiraDry only helps to stop excessive underarm sweat. Furthermore, when you try MiraDry in New York City, you do not have to worry about it causing increased sweating in other parts of your body.
The treatment simply removes a small percentage of sweat glands under your arms. Your body doesn’t need to overcompensate for this.
What Does Recovery Look Like?
Recovering from MiraDry can take anywhere between a few days to two weeks. After your appointment for MiraDry has concluded, you should notice an immediate reduction in excessive underarm sweat.
However, you may also notice that your underarms may be red and you might experience light to mild swelling. They may also be numb for a few hours following the treatment.
Numbness may also be experienced in your arms after the treatment. Listed below are some tips to follow a few days after your MiraDry procedure:
- Ice the treated area immediately after the treatment (ensure that the ice is wrapped to avoid frostbite). Use ice as long as there is swelling prevalent.
- Keep your underarms clean by washing them with gentle liquid soap and water.
- Wear loose-fitting shirts that allow your underarms to breathe for a few days.
- Do not shave or use deodorant and/or antiperspirant on the treated area for a few days afterward.
- Stay away from exercise or any other activity that would normally cause you to become sweaty.
- Take all prescribed medications to reduce the amount of swelling and discomfort.
- Apply prescribed or OTC antibiotic ointments regularly to the treated area.
MiraDry in New York
If you suffer from hyperhidrosis and wish to have your options explored, please contact us at the Metropolitan Vein and Aesthetic Center, so that we may consult with you and perhaps offer this procedure to you so that you can regain the confidence in your life. Thank you.