Varicose veins are unsightly and often embarrassing. They are most commonly found in legs and feet though they may appear in other areas of the body too. In some cases, varicose veins may cause inflammation inside the vein which leads to blood clots.
Preventing blood clots is always the best choice for curing them. The following actions can help you reduce your likelihood of developing new blood clots:
• Wear flat-heeled shoes. Calf muscles are unable to fully contract in high-heeled shoes. Choosing shoes that have flat heels allow the calf muscles to fully contract reducing the likelihood of developing varicose veins.
• Exercise to improve circulation in your legs. This includes things like walking, cycling, and swimming.
• Wear support hose as they work to prevent blood from pooling in lower extremities.
• Control your weight. Staying fit takes pressure off your veins. Also consider eating foods that are low in sodium to help prevent water retention and swelling.
• Avoid extended periods in the same position. Walk around
and work to get your blood flowing at least every half hour.
• Keep your legs elevated. Even if you’re only able to do this for short periods daily, it’s good to elevate your legs above your heart while lying down.
Sometimes, preventative action comes too late or is inadequate to prevent all blood clots from forming. In these instances, some treatment methods may be called for – including the use of reflexology to reduce swelling, horse chestnut extract, pine bark and grape seed extract, or butcher’s broom. Each one offers unique properties that defend your body against developing varicose veins.
Unfortunately, there are times when even these measures aren’t up to the task. Sometimes, it’s a matter of genetics, lifestyle, or occupation that leads to varicose veins. In these instances a different approach for healing may be necessary.
That’s when you turn to varicose veins treatment at New York Metrovein. New York Metrovein is a vein clinic and aesthetic center located in the metropolitan area that offers several procedures designed to treat varicose veins under the careful administrations of Dr. Adam Y. Goldman. Contact us today to learn more about our services.